Pages Tab

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Blinds are Back!

I have run into a home decorating problem with our bay window. The problem relates to my dog Porter. While I love him dearly, he has created a huge problem for us. The dog loves to eat our blinds. I wish I could tell you that he only did this once, but than I would be lying. I can't even count the number of times he has destroyed a set of blinds. We foolishly kept buying more blinds. At one point I started to repair the blinds, but some of the blinds were beyond repair.

Destroyed blinds
The poor blinds, the dog just loves to eat them
I know some of you may be thinking that this dog has separation anxiety, but  I can tell you that is not the case. The underling problem is boredom. First let me tell you that my dog is crazy. He is German Shorthaired Pointer which are known for being high energy dogs. We thought that a half-hour at the dog park a day was enough, but clearly he needed more.

After months of destroyed blinds, we set out to find a new solution. (On a side note, I find it so funny to think of someone walking by my house and getting a glimpse of my dog chopping away on the blinds...LOL). Instead of blinds we moved to curtains. We put up sheers curtains and another set of red curtains. We really didn't like the curtains, but we knew it was the best solution.

Bay window with curtains
While the this solution works, it isn't pretty
Flash forward to today, Porter is now 2 1/2 and a little more mature. This past weekend, my husband did the unthinkable and put up a brand new set of blinds. As you can see we do still have the red curtains up, but we thought we would leave them up for a little bit and ease the dog into the blinds. I will admit it looks so much better than the curtains. Plus the space is a little more open with the blinds.

Bay window with blinds
This looks so much better than the curtains
I know the picture does not really show you the difference between the blinds and the curtains, but trust me the blinds look much better. Even from the outside, the blinds are a better fit. How long will this last, only time will tell. I have no faith in my dog and I think this will only last about a month, but I hope I am wrong.

Have you come across any decorating problems because of your pet?

No comments:

Post a Comment